What is it used for (Indication) ?
Valacyclovir is an antiviral drug used in the management of herpes simplex and herpes zoster (shingles). It does not cure herpes infections, however, it helps sores to heal completely and prevents new ones from forming and it also decreases pain and itching.
How it works (Mechanism)?
Valacyclovir works by breaking down into active antiherpes called acyclovir in the body. Acyclovir inhibits viral reproduction.
What is Herpes Simplex, Herpes zoster and Genital Herpes ?
Herpes Simplex: an infection caused by the herpes simplex virus. Primary infection, occurring most often in children between 2 and 5 years of age, may result in apparent clinical disease or such manifestations as acute herpetic gingivostomatitis, keratoconjunctivitis, vulvovaginitis, or encephalitis. Recurrent manifestations may include herpes labialis (fever blisters or cold sores), dendritic corneal ulcers, or genital herpes simplex.
Herpes Zoster: It is also known as shingles. It is viral infection which causes blisters and skin rashes.
Genital Herpes: A highly contagious, sexually transmitted viral infection of the genital and anal regions caused by herpes simplex and characterized by small clusters of painful lesions.
How to take this medicine (Administration & Dosage) ?
The usual recommended dose is 1000mg (1gm) twice daily for 10 days in case of primary infections.
1. Herpes Zoster: The usual recommended dose is 1000mg (1 gm) taken three times daily for 7 days.
2. Initial episode of herpes: The usual recommended dose is 1000mg (1 gm) taken twice daily for 10 days.
3. Recurrent herpes: The usual recommended dose is 500 mg taken twice daily for 5 days.
Side effects of medicine
This medication is generally well tolerated. Common side effects include headache, nausea, dizziness or diarrhoea.
Interaction with other medicines
If you are taking any other medicines while taking this medicine such as Probenecid, cimetidine, NSAIDs, cyclosporine, aminoglycosides or amphotericin B.
Contraindications (Who should avoid this)
1. If you are hypersensitive to valacyclovir, or acyclovir.
2. If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
3. If you are breast feeding.
4. If you are patients with kidney or liver disease, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), immune system problem or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).
5. Not recommended for children below 12 years or elder adults.
1. Keep away from light and moisture.
2. Store at room temperature between 15° - 30° C (59° - 86° F).
Why should you buy from Rx2gostore
Rx2gostore is an online licensed pharmacy providing you quality medicines with very reasonable rates. Our medicines are affordable because we buy bulk medicines directly from manufacturer.
Generic vs Brand
Generic and branded both medicines are same, contains same ingredient, uses, effects and quality. Branded medicine is costly because it is a patent drug of manufacturer which includes cost of research, marketing, promotion and taxes while generic medicines are cheap because it saves all above cost.
To know more Click Here