What is it used for (Indication) ?
Escitalopram is used to treat depression and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD; excessive worry and tension that disrupts daily life and lasts for 6 months or longer). Escitalopram is used to treat anxiety in adults and major depressive disorder in adults and adolescents who are at least 12 years old.
How it works (Mechanism)?
Escitalopram is in a class of antidepressants called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It works by increasing the amount of serotonin, a natural substance in the brain that helps maintain mental balance.
What is depression and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) ?
Depression: Major depressive disorder (also known as clinical depression, major depression, unipolar depression, or unipolar disorder) is a mental disorder characterized by an all-encompassing low mood accompanied by low self-esteem, and loss of interest or pleasure in normally enjoyable activities.
Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD): Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is an anxiety disorder that is characterized by excessive, uncontrollable and often irrational worry about everyday things that is disproportionate to the actual source of worry.
How to take this medicine (Administration & Dosage) ?
1. The usual dose is 10 mg once daily. If necessary the dose is increased to 20 mg, after a minimum of three weeks.
2. For patient with panic disorder initial dose is 5 mg once daily, after 7 days if required the dose can be increased upto maximum 20 mg once daily.
3. It can be taken with or without food.
Side effects of medicine
This medication is generally well tolerated. Common side effects include mild nausea, insomnia, fatigue, constipation, impotence, dry mouth or diarrhoea.
Interaction with other medicines
If you are using any other medication while taking this medicine such as monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), diclofenac (Voltaren), indomethacin, piroxicam (Feldene), nabumetone (Relafen), etodolac (Lodine), and others.
Contraindications (Who should avoid this)
1. If you are hypersensitive to escitalopram
2. If you are pregnant or planning to be pregnant you should avoid it. But, if you are already under treatment with this escitalopram, do not stop taking the medication suddenly even if you are pregnant or planning to be.
3. Precaution should be taken for patients with mania, seizure disorders, works requiring mental alertness, severe renal impairment or hepatic impairment.
4. Not recommended if you are breast-feeding a baby.
5. If you are below 12 years of age.
6. Keep this medication out of reach of children.
1. Keep away from light and moisture.
2. Store at room temperature at 25 ° C (77° F).
3. Brief storage is permitted between 15° - 30° C (59° - 86° F)
Why should you buy from Rx2gostore
Rx2gostore is an online licensed pharmacy providing you quality medicines with very reasonable rates. Our medicines are affordable because we buy bulk medicines directly from manufacturer.
Generic vs Brand
Generic and branded both medicines are same, contains same ingredient, uses, effects and quality. Branded medicine is costly because it is a patent drug of manufacturer which includes cost of research, marketing, promotion and taxes while generic medicines are cheap because it saves all above cost.
To know more Click Here